8350 North Central Expressway
Dallas, Texas 75206
Jennifer Knott is a member of the Firm's Litigation Section. Her practice includes all aspects of commercial disputes, with an emphasis in real estate, financial services, contract disputes, condemnation, and construction.
Her real estate experience involves disputes arising out of real-estate transactions, including commission disputes between brokers, as well as disputes between brokers and their clients, all of which implicate issues involving the Texas Real Estate Commission and the Real Estate Licensing Act. Ms. Knott has also litigated a variety of landlord-tenant and real estate development disputes including cases regarding subordination and attornment issues, repair and surrender covenants, parking rights, tenant improvements and default. Ms. Knott has litigated numerous eminent domain cases, representing property owners in actions initiated by the condemning authorities, as well as in inverse condemnation cases.
Her banking experience includes cases involving numerous issues under the Uniform Commercial Code, specifically including the provisions governing the bank-customer relationship and the application for and payment on letters of credit, as well as cases involving foreclosure on real and personal property. Ms. Knott has also litigated cases involving mortgage repurchase issues.
Her construction experience includes representing owners, developers, contractors, and architects as both plaintiffs and defendants in construction defect litigation.
Ms. Knott also has experience litigating a variety of commercial litigation issues including cases involving fraud, negligent misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of trade secrets, covenants not to compete, deceptive trade practices, partnership disputes and breach of contract.
- Commercial Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Financial Services Litigation
- J.D., Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, cum laude, Order of the Coif, 2000
- B.A., Southern Methodist University, Communications, cum laude, 1996
- Member, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Dallas Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Business Litigation Section
- Freedom Run Committee Member, 2004 & 2005
- 2012 Obtained summary judgment for commercial developer in case involving a dispute over parking rights
- 2011 Defended mortgage repurchase action brought by the servicer of a syndicated pool involving multiple residential home loans
- 2011 Successfully prosecuted fraud and fiduciary duty claims against real estate broker on behalf of purchase of several real properties as part of 1031 exchange
- 2009 Favorable settlement against regional bank on statutory conversion claim related to disloyal employee’s theft and deposit of health insurance reimbursement checks
- 2009 Unanimous jury verdict awarding remainder damages in condemnation case involving gas pipeline easement
- 2007 Assist in recovery of $ 1.8 million award related to city’s taking of retail store site for construction of park
- 2006 Prosecution of commercial lessee’s claim against landlord related to cap on controllable operating expenses
- 2005 Assisted builder in case against surveyor and title company involving negligent survey of property
- 2005 Represented homeowner in case involving construction company’s failure to design and build improvements in compliance with zoning ordinances and building codes
- 2005 Represented developer and owner of condominium project in a dispute with homeowner’s association regarding numerous alleged construction defects on the premises
- Defense of commercial lessee which abandoned office premises with multiyear term balance and multi-million dollar accelerated rent delinquency
- 2004 Provided counsel for insurance company in subrogation dispute involving construction defects associated with installation of EIFS on the exterior of an insured’s residence
- 2003 Litigated case for bank involving allegations of wrongful payment on letter of credit and foreclosure on real property
- 2003 Represented bank in case involving default on residential mortgage
- 2003 Assisted business in case involving architect’s failure to properly supervise construction of medical facility
- 2003 Litigated case for hospital involving general contractor and subcontractor’s failure to properly install medical equipment in operating rooms